- 2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or parsley
- 4 5-6 oz skinless salmon portions
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 1/4 cup minced sundried tomato (optional)
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Season each salmon portion with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Wrap each salmon portion with a piece of bacon.
- Put the potatoes in a pot and add 1 teaspoon of salt and cold water to cover the potatoes by 1”.
- Cook the potatoes over medium heat until tender, approximately 30 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Put potatoes back into the same pot.
- Smash the potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Then use the spoon to beat in 4 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once combined, beat in the reserved cooking liquid and herbs.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover and reserve the potatoes.
- For the salmon, heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- When the oil starts to smoke add the wrapped salmon portions with the bacon seam side down.
- Cook each side for 2 minutes (for a total of 8 minutes).
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of butter to the pan and baste the portions with the melted butter for 20 seconds.
- Remove the portions from the pan and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup of smashed potatoes in the center of a warmed plate.
- Place a salmon portion on top of the potatoes.
- Optional: Sprinkle diced sundried tomato over the top and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.